The soldier in the foxhole?
The medic by his side?
Which will make a difference?
Which works with most pride?
Neither is the better
Neither is the worse
I’d rather have a medic, Than end up in a hearse

Copyright D McDonald 2011

Talking about Medics’ and another section about APCs and ‘No Parking’, here is another snippet from my book.

Silky

WHY ARE THE ROADS EMPTY?

Belonging to an Armoured Field Ambulance meant that I had to know how to drive (and know the basic workings of) a track vehicle, so I was placed on a driving course. It’s surprising how quickly the roads in Germany cleared when a tank with big red L Plates attached to the front and rear of the vehicle was driving down the road.
The vehicles were Armoured Personnel Carriers, more commonly know as APC 432s. They had been converted to carry patients, and had the usual big Red Cross on the side.

RED CROSS! WHAT RED CROSS?

On the course, we were informed not to rely on the Red Cross, as the enemy had decided not to bother with the Geneva Convention. Their first task was to demoralize the troops by destroying the medics. It was then that I started looking for some wire wool to get the bloody Red Cross of the side of my vehicle.

Medics really are the usung heroes of the battle field. I know I owe myself to a couple corpsmen.

Back