It is a shame though that the Muslim culture does not always show us the same respect and understanding that this female soldier is showing them.

In any case it is a great photo showing a side of war that the press are not interested in showing. The best news is always going to have a negative impact on somebody....tragic really

Interestingly I have just been adding some links to reddit to gain our little site some more exposure, lets see how we get on. For anybody reading this any sharing of links,photos,posts etc will be a massive benefit to MI.Net, it will ultimately draw more people here who may wish to engage with our Military antics. :)

Last edited:
Finnish troops tending wounded Soviet soldier.jpg

Finnish troops tending wounded Soviet soldier.

A captured teenage.jpg

A captured teenage Nazi is in tears as he holds out his wounded arm for a sympathetic American to examine as they wait for a medic in Cherbourg.

British soldier.jpg

British soldier giving an wounded German soldier a smoke.

American and German medical personnel care for wounded paratroopers of both nations in the Hospice (505th Regtl Aid Sta #2) situated in the center of Sainte-Mère-Église.

American and German.jpg

Sgt Francis Daggertt has apprehended a 15-year old German soldier in the city of Kronach.

Sgt Francis Daggertt has apprehended a 15-year old German soldier in the city of Kronach..jpg

A pair of sleeping American Marines sharing their foxhole with an Okinawan boy after three days of nonstop battle in the Awacha pocket on Okinawa, July 1945.

pair of.jpg

A Marine in Vietnam plays with a child, Danang 1966.

DANANG 1966 - MARINE IN VIETNAM PLAYS WITH CHILD.jpg

An aged woman injured by a U.S.-Vietnamese air strike on a Buddhist monastery 40 miles southeast of Saigon is carried to a hospital by airborne private Carl Champ of Furgitsville, West Virginia, 1965.

03 Aug 1965.jpg

GI’s often show a compassion for the enemy that springs from admiration of their dedication and bravery. This VC had a three-day-old stomach wound. He’d picked up his intestines and put them in an enamel cooking bowl (borrowed from a surprised farmer’s wife) and strapped it around his middle. As he was being carried to the headquarters company for interrogation, he indicated he was thirsty. “OK, him VC, him drink dirty water,” said the Vietnamese interpreter, pointing to the brown paddy-field. With real anger a GI told him to keep quiet, then mumbled, “Any soldier who can fight for three days with his insides out can drink from my canteen any time!”

fgBD8F0.jpg

“Any soldier who can fight for three days with his insides out can drink from my canteen any time!”

That is exactly how I like to believe I would have reacted. A lasting impression on that VC soldier I think

Still remember the pictures of those kids. A nightmare. Poor parents. I don´t want to imagine what went through there.

Read about this one years ago when I´ve stumbled upon a very nice painting which I couldn´t find now, but there´s a video on youtube about the Bf 109 pilot Franz Stigler and B-17 pilot Charlie Brown's first meeting

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is a painting of this encounter
full

I have read this about Dr Jolly
(During the Falklands War Richard Jolly was the Senior Medical Officer of 3 Commando Brigade RM. Interestingly and unusually he was one of few combat veterans to be decorated by both sides, with an OBE in the UK’s South Atlantic Honours List as well as an Argentinian appointment as an Officer in the Order of May, in recognition of his services to their wounded during the conflict).
I think I knew him from when I was in RAMC at Woolwich or Millbank.

Some amazing pics of the better side of humanity there, enjoyed going through them ;)

captain j mcmahon brideg aat the river elbe.jpg
1945: Captain J McMahon, of the U.S. 9th Army, carrying a child over a bombed bridge at the River Elbe, Tangemunde. The bridge was blown up by retreating German troops.

Back