photography The Falling Soldier - A Fake?

Reloader

Mi Lieutenant
MI.Net Member
It's one of Robert Capa's earliest and most famous images. A soldier of the Spanish Civil War, caught at the moment of dying. The authenticity of the photo has often been questioned, but doubt has been raised again that the image was staged, in a report in today's 'Independent' newspaper:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...down--capas-classic-image-of-war-1754405.html

Image inserted by Admin
falling soldier cappa.jpg

I have looked closely at this image before, trying to find some clue as to where the soldier was hit, but found nothing. Regardless of whether it is real or a fake, I still think it is one of the most powerful images of war that I have seen. Capa went on to become one of the world's most famous photo-journalists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm it seems to me either the photographer was very lucky and happened to be pointing in the right direction at the right time or it is a fake?.

Agree though that it is a powerful image.

like you mate I see no sign of imapct as i would have expected, at least flesh passing to the rear of the soldier???

The man may not have been shot, but lost his footing and a more dramatic title given to the picture.

Just a thought.

Silky

A very famous image and full of conjecture as to being false or real.

I have always questioned the chance of Capa getting this photo, he had to be there with his back towards where the action was and facing this guy. The guy is coming downhill and Capa just happened to get the photo as he is hit.

A powerful image and I don't think it will ever be confirmed if it was staged as has been postulated, or a very real and lucky (for Capa) shot.

Did he do follow up photos after he fell to the ground if none actually exist then that at least should be questionable . Any other Tog would