1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
We are a non commercial community interested only in the discussion of all things military. We do not sell or authorise the use of images hosted on our servers, if you wish to purchase or use imagery contact the uploader directly.(you will need to register). Any requests received to purchase or use imagery will be ignored. Thank you and welcome to MI.Net

GMW The After Action Review Board

Discussion in 'Good Military Websites' started by Bombardier, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Bombardier

Bombardier Admin & Arbiter Staff Member Site Admin

Friendly guys over there, pop in and see them.. consider it like a pub crawl, you know you have a beer with us then have a beer with them, then pop back for a few chasers with us.

Seriously friendly members give em a go

http://theafteractionreview.boards.net/

bdpopeye and diman like this.
  2. diman Russian Federation

diman Lieutenant MI.Net Member

Thanks it was interesting to see
    there I will be torn to pieces on 1000 small pieces, only by cats in a military uniform no more

3. bdpopeye United States

bdpopeye Colonel MI.Net Member

I'm a member of the AARB.. I just post tons of photos over there. I wish that forum had the same format as this one. This forum makes it easier to post photos.

BravoZulu and Bombardier like this.
  4. Bombardier

Hi @bdpopeye
    AARB is a free hosted forum with Proboards, the cost of having large amounts of images uploaded to our servers is ever increasing, server space and more importantly bandwidth reaches into the thousands of $£ each year. The more that is posted the closer to increasing fees we get.

If you ever choose to go it alone and move your forum to a shared, virtual private (VPS) or dedicated server you would need to have access to your database so that you could transfer everything over, otherwise you will have to start all over again. Does Proboards give you access to your database?

We aim to make the uploading of images easy because we have lots of people with differing levels of interweb skills not to mention that images are what we are all about, in the main.

Glad you are happy with the functionality of MI.Net

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    bdpopeye likes this.
  5. bdpopeye United States

bdpopeye Colonel MI.Net Member

Bombardier. I don't know about all that ..really I don't. Bravo Zulu could possibly know since he just took over at AARB.

Most of my photos are in my imgur account since 2012.

bdpopeye.imgur.com/all/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Bombardier likes this.
  6. Bombardier

Yes obviously if images are hosted on a third party image host then it does not affect server space or bandwidth of any website other than that of the host.

I also have an Imgur account although it is little used at the moment

BravoZulu likes this.
  7. BravoZulu Australia

BravoZulu Corporal MI.Net Member

Hi Guys, Yep AARB is hosted on a free board, the "contract" with pro-boards states that all data is ours...how we would go about transferring that to a new site I have no idea yet.

Our format is not perfect in any way however, it suited the original owner Shermbodius when he started it over 2yrs ago as a discussion board that also hosted photo's. We don't have a large posting population unfortunately, about a normal percentage for the total number of members. I know that the majority of visitors, members and guests, just drop in the see what's on today and I guess the photo section is our most visited as a vast majority seem to look at the pictures and bugger the articles...a bit like Playboy!

I am hoping that we can expand our membership and would look seriously in the future in moving away from Pro-boards, but at the moment given our size...it fit's the purpose.

Cheers & Beers
    BZ

Bombardier likes this.
  8. Bombardier

Hmm just had a look at the possibility that Proboards allows the downloading of your database.
    It is clear from what I read that they will only allow you to download the data you (as a member) post to the forum, but not all the data of your members.

http://support.proboards.com/thread/456422/download-forum-data

What this means for you is that the longer you use Proboards the more data that will not be available to you for migrating to another forum software in the future, you will, in effect be starting from scratch.

BravoZulu likes this.