NebrHogger

Mi General
MI.Net Member
United-States
Panzer One 5.jpg zPanzer One 10 Chinese.jpg zPanzerOne 9.jpg Panzer One 7.jpg zItalTank2.jpg

My favorite Panzer I pic is the one being used as a flight line tractor - apparently in N Africa.

Panzer One 7.jpg zPanzerOne 9.jpg zPanzer One 10 Chinese.jpg Panzer One 5.jpg

While filing things for the next book, I found these in an unmarked flash drive. I wondered how Japanese could pose with one, but China did buy a few - which fared poorly against the IJA.

Used mostly for training, it was not uncommon for Panzer Is to appear in actual combat. It couldn't have been a comfort to be in one with hot lead flying about, but they were still a much better machine than the pitiful Italian tankette shown. SW

My favorite Panzer I pic is the one being used as a flight line tractor - apparently in N Africa.

Interesting didnt they usually use the Kettenkrad to pull aircraft around?
I suppose they are using the Pz1 because the ground is too rough for the kettenkrad (lack of power), they didnt have any in theater or they were not being produced at this time. I will look into it.

great photos @NebrHogger

Well the North African Campaign of WW2 took lace between 1940 & 1943 and looking at the terrain here I would hazard a guess that is where the photo was taken.
The Kleines Kettenkraftrad HK 101 was in service with the Germans between 1941 & 1945 so they would have been available so your last point would not be correct.
IMHO I would suggest they either had none in theater or very few hence the use of the Panzer 1 this would have been ad hoc and the tank probably would have gone on to continue its normal duties afterwards.

Great photos