Question? My Uncles in world War 2

Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
My dad (an ex para) of the Suez crisis years often told me about my two uncles during WW2 but had little knowledge of their exploits.
I have looked around the internet in vain for information for years and had not found anything of use, until yesterday that is.

I found the following information about my Uncle Thomas Charles Warren who received the Military Medal. The information was attached to some medals that are up for sale seen in the following picture

DSC_6333.jpg

Military Medal, 1939-45, France & Germany Stars, WWII War Medal to Pte. 14729536 Thomas Charles Warren 159 Infantry Brigade, 11 Armoured Div 8th Corps 3rd Mons, South Wales Borderers. Accompanied by extensive paperwork; original personal letter from Platoon Commander to Warren's mother, expanding on the citation. Original Soldier's Service and Pay Book and Certificate of Service, showing he was appointed to Corporal and served with the K.OY.L.I. and K.S.L.I. Copy of the citation signed by Field Marshall Montgomery, and copy Birth Certificate.
M.M. Citation: 'On 30 Nov '44 Pte. Warren's Coy was directed to capture BROCKHUIZEN. The enemy were picked men and fighting stubbornly to defend one of the last outposts on the WEST side of the R.MAAS. The coy succeeded in entering the village before darkness fell, but there were quite a number of enemy snipers still hiding in the buildings. Pte. Warren was a P1 runner, and during the night was despatched on hazardous errands through the village several times. He heard movement in a house he passed. On his own initiative he entered the building alone and discovered three Germans. These he succeeded in capturing. Afterwards, on two further occassions, again on his own initiative and alone, he managed to suprise further enemy snipers. Altogether he rounded up twelve prisoners during the night entirely by his own endeavour. His cheerfulness and individual heroism were the talk of his comrades.'

Now I cannot be 100% sure this is him but there are a number of coincidences as follows

his middle name was 'Charles'
He did serve with the KOYLI at some point
He did receive the military Medal
My dad recalls reading something in the local paper about him capturing prisoners.

I have contacted the website selling the medals as there seems to be a lot of paperwork with the medals that may confirm it is in fact him but they have not yet responded..............Wait Out!

I would love it if any of you have access to records that may confirm this information or at least add to it. (Alf im sure you would be the man :D )

My other uncle was Edward Warren and served in the navy , I believe in the middle East on Landing craft tanks)

their Mother was Dorothy May Warren Nee linghorn and they would have lived in the SE of England at the time.

I was amazed to hear that any of my family had the Military Medal but if the details above prove right he was a British Hero deserving of such an accolade.

Speak soon

Last edited:
Well I have received a response from the sellers of the medals. It seems they have sold the medals and documents but have offered to contact the buyer to see if they will offer any help.

Standby!

Hi Andrew
As you may know there is very little WWII info available due to data protection etc. However on Forces War Records on line, there is a Pte. Thomas Charles Warren, South Wales Borders. Problem is I don't have access to it, so maybe if you go on to their site and have a look, it might be worth paying the fee to look at these records http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk the only other alternative I can think of is to apply for his army records. The address is - Army Personnel Centre, HQ Secretariat, Historial Disclosures, Mail Point 400, Kentigern House, 63 Brown Street, Glasgow GE2 8EX or email -apc_historical_disclosures@dial.pipex.com or telephone 01412242743. I got my Dad's army records here and they were very helpful and easy to deal with. Far as I can remember to apply for the documents you must prove the service person is deceased and that you are a close relative to them. Worth a try. Other than that sorry there is little else I can do, due to, as I said earlier, data protection and all that crap! Good luck mate, let me know how it goes.

Regards
Alf

Hope this is your uncle bombardier.
What a find if it is. Your uncle definately deserved his MM sal;