Article More Duc Pho Moments

rotorwash

Sergeant Major
MI.Net Member
One Shot Charley

As April ‘67 gave way to May things began to change around Duc Pho. The first thing that went was the name, LZ Montezuma just didn’t sound right when the Army said it, so the place became LZ Bronco. The brigade CP arrived along with a mess tent, meaning we could have a hot meal when C rations got boring. But along with the mess tent came a One-Shot-Charley (otherwise known as an OSC). Officially he should have been called a sniper, but the fundamental difference between an OSC and a sniper is that a sniper would occasionally hit something. LZ Bronco was built snug up against the west side of the Witches Wart, the mountain that stuck up out of the plain and was infested with the biggest landmine collection in the known world. But Charley had figured a way around the mines, he just tunneled through the mountain and created openings in the side where, coming from underneath, he had dealt with the mines and could now look down on our little ol’ LZ. The result was that we would occasionally hear a shot ring out from up the mountain and people would dive for cover. It became standard procedure for our gunships returning from a mission to fly close along the mountain and pepper likely looking places just for the fun of it. No standard policy existed for dealing with OSC’s until the day we were all in line at the messhall and a shot rang out. Now infantry types have a different way of dealing with this then aviation people. When they hear a shot, they dive for cover, figure out where it came from and deal with it. When helicopter crews hear a shot, its no big deal. If it was going to hit you, you never would have heard it. Besides, in a helicopter you can’t duck for cover. The net result was that every time the OSC fired and infantry guys jumped for cover, aviation types simply moved up in the chow line. Soon all of the aviation guys were at the front of the chow line and the infantry was still behind cover. When they figured out they had lost their place in line they were mad. An LTC from brigade stood up, dusted himself off and created the first Bronco edict: When fired upon, the messhall is closed. Thou shalt seek cover and not take your fellow soldiers place in line. We never really solved this problem until we had built the perimeter all the way around the base of the mountain.

One OSC that continually plagued us was located on a hill about a mile south of Bronco. As the aircraft flew around the mountain and turned the base leg before turning final we were at about the extreme end of his accuracy and he would occasionally shoot at us. He was persistent and was still there doing his thing long after Duc Pho become uptown enough to have its own air traffic control tower. Sometimes he would fire tracer. After I went to the Sharks I remember having this memorable conversation with the tower.
“Duc Pho Tower, this is Shark 426, flight of two turning final, guns cold, breakers out.”
“Roger 426, this is Duc Pho Tower, wind north-northwest at five, altimeter two niner niner seven. No reported traffic, you’re cleared for final, be advised you are taking fire.” A green tracer whizzed past the door. Whether or not the OSC was doing his thing became part of the landing advisory. The interesting thing about this particular OSC was that in all those months he never hit anything. One day we were gathered in the operations tent awaiting the latest word on our next bit of fun when a sycophantic lapdog of a staff officer blustered through the door and picked up the phone without asking permission. It seemed that our local OSC had fired at his boss as they flew by and this clown was going to have our friendly neighborhood Charley done away with once and for all. He wanted a platoon to sweep that hill and find the guy. When we figured out what he was doing, about 40 voices shouted “NO!” and maybe even a couple of guys slapped him. Chagrined he listened as our CO carefully explained that if this OSC was removed, the VC might actually replace him with someone that could hit something.

We did finally get one OSC, although in a most unusual fashion. A CH-47 happened to be trundling from Chu Lai to points south, carrying a few short-timers to catch the big bird back to the world. About five miles north of Duc Pho they developed some hydraulic trouble, and having the nice beautiful beach at hand, they decided to land and check out the problem. A hydraulic problem on a Chinook is nothing to sneeze at, I have seen those suckers literally rain hydraulic fluid inside. The only problem was, however, that the stretch of beach they landed on was, in a manner of speaking, contested. No Charley in his right mind is going to let that big green sausage set on his beach without taking a shot, and there were a lot of right minded Charley’s and they shot a lot. Unfortunately, two of the short timers had gotten out to stretch their legs on the sand and were hit and killed. The hydraulic problems in the Chinook were aggravated by bullets, but they took off anyway, abandoning the two dead guys, only to discover that one engine had been shot out. They struggled toward Duc Pho throwing out anything that wasn’t nailed down just to keep airborne and sort of collapsed the aircraft on the ground when they passed the barbed wire. We were airborne at the time and heard these idiots screaming over the radio so we hustled over to the beach, saw the Chinook limping south to Duc Pho, and there, sure enough, were two guys lying on the beach and they sure enough looked dead. We argued with a gunship from Chu Lai about who was going to land and check them out, but he won, having more weapons. He approached from the ocean, landed, his crewchief jumped out and checked the guys, they were dead, so the gunship took off again. Then he said he would cover us while we went in and recovered the bodies, but a Dustoff showed up and we provided diversion while he took care of it.

We turned back for Duc Pho and began seeing duffle bags and other gear on the ground where it had been jettisoned from the Chinook, so we began picking up whatever we could find. It was during one of these stops that we heard a round from an OSC. When we got back to Duc Pho everybody was mad at the collective stupidity, at the CH-47 pilots, at Charley, at the two guys who got shot and then we told them about the OSC. I guess part of the battalion staff had taken enough, the arty officer, the SGM and some unattached butterbar climbed aboard and we went looking for the OSC. We flew slowly over the area at about 50 feet, every ounce of our being screaming, “Here Charley, nice Charley” and finally we heard the shot. We skimmed the ground and our infantry contingent jumped out and spread out on line. We had worked out a strategy that we would fly around until a shot was fired then they would move closer to the shot. When they squatted down, we would try and get the guy to shoot again. I’m not sure what we were thinking at the time but it sure sounds stupid now.

The terrain was low scrub brush right on the edge of the sand dunes and we kept narrowing down to a large patch of brush. Finally our “infantry” was right on top of it when I heard a shot go off. The SGM, creeping through the brush saw a rifle barrel sticking up out of a hole. He crept up to it and got on the side where he could see the rear sights of the rifle, then peeked into the hole. A VC was sitting on his haunches in the bottom of the hole with the rifle, an old WW II Mauser, sticking out. Every time we flew anywhere close he just shot straight into the air. The SGM reached down into the hole and picked the guy up by his collar, lifting him completely out of the hole. It seems the guy was so deaf from firing that rifle in the hole, he wouldn’t have heard the SGM if he had been playing bagpipes. The guy was just firing when our shadow passed over him.

Regards,

Rotorwash

Dramatic stuff RW. It was tough on those guys who were leaving but knowing nothing about helo drills the crew had to put down somewhere? I really think that the guy should have been left where he was if he was that sh*t a shot! Was he replaced by a better one? That would have been bad news.
I loved the cookhouse bit! I guess it's always good to get one (or several) meals in over the grunts!!
Good radio report too! Having been involved in the sigs, short, sharp and sweet! What does "Breakers Out" mean?

Snipers

Excellent post RW, as usual. I only had a few encounters with snipers. I think they felt it was suicidal to snipe at a platoon or company of infantry in the field. Like you said, we pretty much dealt with them on the spot. Usually we would call in an arty strike or a gunship on them. Our tax dollars at work :mrgreen: .

Once, while working our way up a steep draw in the mountains west of Kontum near Cambodia, we started taking some sniper fire from a bamboo thicket directly in front of us. Nobody was hit. We pulled back a little bit and got on the horn. There wasn't any gunships available to us immediately, and it was pretty close quarters in the draw for artillery. The CO brought up a couple of the machinegun teams and had them set up on each side of the draw as high as they could go and still have a clear field of fire into the bamboo. He then had about 4 M-79 grenadiers move up in the bottom of the draw and still have cover. They lit up the thicket for about 10 minutes. When we were sure that we weren't getting any return fire we moved forward, doing a recon by fire.

When we got into the bamboo it was amazing how big it was. Some of the stalks were as big as my thigh and 20ft., or more, tall. Somebody immediately found some blood running down some of the stalks. When we looked up, we found a body. With some chopping and shaking, we dislodged him. Eventually we found 2 more. They had pulled several of the tops of the bamboo together and tied them off, making a kind of blind to shoot from. Pretty ingenious, I thought. Come to find out, they were the sentries for about a company-sized unit of NVA that was sleeping for the day. These guys held us off long enough for them to un-ass the area.

On my second tour, with the 82nd, we would get sniped at once in awhile while we were building our basecamp west of Gia Le, in the Hue/Phu Bai AO. These were more of a nuisance than anything. I never heard of anyone being hit. We pretty much felt the same as you did; his replacement might be a better shot.

Hey Zofo, the guy just went the way of old soldiers and faded away. It was a while before we realized we hadn't heard anything out of him in long time. Fortunately, he was never replaced with someone that could really shoot.

The CH-47 landing on the beach was stupid, he probably could have made it to Duc Pho, we were all pretty torqued out about that one.

Breakers out meant that we were confirming that we had pulled the circuit breakers on the guns and rockets. People got nervous with a fully armed gunship coming at them head on, even if it had the best of intentions.

Thanks for the comments.

You too Frisco, always appreciate what you have to say. Yeah, one shot Charleys were just a nuisance, but they were the bane of aviation types. There must be something built into our genetics that just makes us want to shoot at something flying by. Once we were part of a flight of three coming low across a ridgeline and one of the aircraft got shot with an arrow. Can you imagine? I will never forget that stupid arrow sticking out of the tailboom. Too bad it fell off before we could land and get it.

Once I watched an ARVN company go to ground because of one shot in their direction. They wouldn't move until we had fired up an old abandoned village. The American advisor was walking back and forth on the paddy dike just above their heads ranting and raving, but they still woudn't move. 2cnd Div, naturally.

RW

An Arrow! :mrgreen:

Now THAT'S some bragging rights :D . When we were operating in the Highlands around Bao-loc, about 80mi. due west of Phan Rang, there were alot of Montagnard villes in the area. A buddy of mine, Beetle, traded a 'Yard a couple of cans of C's and a survival knife for a crossbow and 6 arrows. It was made out of a red hardwood of some kind and had about a 4ft. span. Needed both feet and strong arms to cock that mother. The arrows were about 3ft. long. The thing could shoot through 3 sandbags at 30yds. no problem if you could hit them. A wicked weapon.

More tunnel stories

Seeing as how we are talking about the tunnels of Cu Chi on another thread, I thought you might enjoy this story.

RW

The tunnels of Ah Choo

We were trying to flatten a piece of dirt large enough for a tent and were in the process of removing a large bush when we uncovered a VC tunnel. Carefully we excavated more until we had not a tunnel, but a room shaped like a cylinder about ten feet across and five feet deep. Three tunnels led from the room at various locations. About a dozen guys stood around the hole not sure what to do next when from one of the tunnels came a fateful sound. “AH CHOO.” What ensued next was probably the single biggest one sided firefight in the entire war as we poured fire into those tunnels. Most of us were on the second clip before it slowly dawned on us that no one was returning our fire. Carefully we edged closer to the hole nonchalantly trying to cover the scores of empty shell casings by surreptitiously scuffing our feet. Again we peered into the hole, still not sure what to do next. Suddenly we got the bright idea to call the engineers. We envisioned CS canisters, explosives and maybe we wouldn’t have to dig and shovel any more for a while.
The engineer sergeant arrived and studied the hole, occasionally knocking the ashes from his cigarette. He turned to his jeep driver, “Get on the horn and have Smitty bring the bulldozer over.” An hour later the hole was filled in and there was a nice flat place for the tent.
The sergeant started to walk away when some one caught him and asked, “Hey! What about Charley?”
With a disgusted look, the sergeant flicked away his cigarette butt and said, “Let Charley do his own da***d dirt work! I’m too busy.” and stomped away to his jeep.

Fantastic reading boys, keep it coming Mil-smile01

Last edited:
Incoming!

As more of the 3rd Brigade of the 25th Infantry (later to be redesignated 3rd Brigade of the 4th Infantry Division) moved to Duc Pho, the more we attracted Charley’s attention. In the beginning I don’t believe he had any experienced mortar crews in the area, but he had the tubes, so when he could scrounge up a few rounds, he would pop them in our direction. Most of the aircraft were returning south to LZ English every night, but we knew that we would soon be there permanent so we began to build revetments for the aircraft. Thousands of sandbags to protect the aircraft, so when Charley started his mortar practice, we weren’t too worried abut the aircraft. In fact, we weren’t too worried about anything. We would sit on the revetments and watch the mortars being fired. Usually accompanied by running commentary. “Listen, there’s one!” “Oops, off to the left, in the wire.” “There’s another one.” “Short round.” Much to Charley’s discomfort, our anti mortar capabilities were improving along with his marksmanship and after he’d fired about the third round, artillery rounds would start searching for Charley’s tube, putting an end to the show. But as Charley got better, we began to think more and more about our safety. This was brought home graphically to me one night when several rounds were coming in quite accurately. We could run for the revetments, the only sandbagged bunkers around, but the aircraft were in the revetments and that was what Charley was really trying to hit. Running to the revetments could be counterproductive. On this particular dark night my gunner and I had just finished putting the aircraft away and were walking across the flight line when we heard the unmistakable whump of mortars leaving the tube. The whumps were coming very close together and I counted eight in the air before the first one hit. When they started hitting, they walked right down the middle of the flight line between the two rows of parked aircraft. Charley had gotten very good. I took cover behind the revetment in a small drainage ditch. It wasn’t very deep and my buttons kept getting in the way. I turned and yelled at my gunner, who had taken cover behind me, “Hey! I know a better hole.” He yelled back, “If you know a better hole, go get it, I’ll wait here!”

Big Bang Theory

As more and more aircraft were required to spend the night at Duc Pho, the infantry provided us with a GP Medium tent. Set up right across the road from a howitzer battery. Occasionally our sleep would be interrupted by the guns firing, but soon we were amazed how easy it was to sleep through 105's firing 50 yards away. One night I struggled in dog tired. It had been a lousy day, messhall closed, bottom of the C-rat case, maintenance in the dark and my Jiffy Pop Popcorn pan had a hole in it and wouldn’t pop. I shook the dirt off my blanket, loosened my boots and flopped down, asleep before I was horizontal. Suddenly two explosions in quick succession lifted me of the bunk. I struggled to a sitting position trying to see through the dust shaken from the tent. My boots flopping around my feet I stumbled outside just as another howitzer fired, lighting up the night sky. Then two more, they were staggering me, I was at the business end, they were firing right over the tent. I lurched across the road and found a cannon cocker and shouted in his ear, “What is going on, they were never that loud before!” He stepped back and looked at me strangely, “Quit shouting, I’m not deaf. The 105's were moved to LZ Liz today, these are 8 inch.”

RW

Conditions and behaviors that, in everyday society would be considered outrageous, bizarre or socially unacceptable become everyday occurances in a combat zone. In war, "normal" only exists as a setting on a clothes dryer.

Fun and Games in POL

When we first got to Duc Pho, our refuel point, commonly known as POL, was on the extreme north end of LZ Bronco and had no protection whatsoever. The guy that ran it, Sgt Ball, was out in the middle of nowhere. There was no barbed wire, no mines, nothing except for his bunker and an occasional infantry squad or APC, if any happened to be in town. If Charley wanted to walk in and refill his Zippo, there was nothing to slow him down except the intrepid Sgt Ball. One lazy afternoon we were part of a flight of two and we had just landed and begun refueling. We never shut down when refueling, just pumped on a thousand pounds and took off again. This time started out no different. My gunner grabbed the fuel nozzle, opened the cap and started fueling. I had opened the pilots doors and slid back their armored seat panels and was standing on the skid toe watching the fuel gage. Suddenly I heard AW fire and bullets going by. Looking around, I saw Sgt Ball firing out of his bunker and the crewchief of the other ship behind his M-60 trading fire with two VC crouching behind a paddy dike firing bolt action rifles. I got behind my M-60 and joined the fray. It really wasn’t much of a fight, one of them would pop up and fire and we would dust up a couple of feet of dike in return, but it sounded pretty ferocious if you had your back turned. In just a couple of minutes the pilots had managed to get their own doors shut and we were taking off. Just like most of the gunfights in the old west, nothing was damaged, nobody was hurt and everybody felt good when it was over. Except Sgt Ball, he took the event entirely too seriously. We dubbed it “The Gunfight at the Oil Corral.”

A few days later as we were coming in from the north for a landing at the same POL, these same two VC stepped out of a stack of rice straw and began shooting at us. I returned fire but didn’t have a good angle, but what they didn’t know was five armored personnel carriers were coming in from the same direction as us. When the two VC finally saw the APC’s, they dove back into the straw stack, but I don’t think it did them much good, the APC’s just drove right through it.

This was around the same time that we were part of a bunch of aircraft, including a 1st Cav gunship, all refueling at the same time in POL. The first inkling I had of anything wrong was when my pilots were frantically trying to get my attention. I had unplugged my helmet and was doing something constructive, like looking for bullet holes, when I detected a rather unusual amount of commotion going on. Looking around I saw everyone pointing to the cav gunship. The gunner was nonchalantly pouring in fuel, the fuel cell filler point was about his eye level, but he was looking forward at his crewchief who was standing on the toe of the skid watching the fuel guage. What no one on that particular aircraft noticed was that flames were coming out of the fuel tank around the nozzle. Every pilot in every aircraft in POL was having a fit - literally screaming in the radios - except for the gunship pilots, who were probably discussing the chances the Cubs had for winning the series, or something just as important. Their radios were obviously on a different frequency then everyone else. At length the gunship crewchief looked around, saw the flames and simply pointed at them. The gunner carefully removed the nozzle, took the cap and in one swift movement slapped it in place and locked it. Nothing more, nothing less. The only damage was some scorched paint and deformed fiberglass. After a second or two, he carefully unlocked the cap and took it off. The flames were out so he inserted the nozzle and continued fueling. Those guys probably saved a pilot’s life, because someone would have tried to fly that aircraft out of there, fire and all. He would have either been decorated or toasted. Or worse yet, the aircraft would have been abandoned to burn up along with our POL. Now I know every pilot there collected some grey hairs that day, but as for the enlisted men, it was only a short interruption to what was really important, figuring out how beat all those other aircraft to a parking spot so we could jockey ourselves to the head of the chow line.

RW sal;

Cheez Bomber, I gotta change my avatar. I like it, but it's getting old.

Good stories as always, Bro. On those rare times they brought us into somebody's FSB for a little down time, I never liked to be anywhere near the POL dumps. Just one big match head, as far as I was concerned. It was bad enough trying to protect those fuel hauler convoys on the second tour.

You guys must have been set-up further south of Duc Pho with the 25th ID. We didn't have any APCs clanking around where we were, that I recall. Now there's a piece of Army equipment I wanted nothing to do with. Seems to me those rolling foxholes may as well have had a sign and arrow to Charlie on them saying "Place RPG Here." :roll:

Yeah, a rolling bullet magnet. Saw an APC hit a large booby trap about 400 yards off of LZ Liz, 11 guys KIA in their aluminum coffin, just that quick. This was after your outfit moved to the mountains. We had an armored cav troop (C/3-4 Cav) and a tank company (C/2-34 Armor) operating out of Duc Pho mostly to the north. For a while an M-48 sat on the perimeter to the northwest of our POL point waiting for an engine. It was fun working with tanks, you didn't have to worry about firing up friendlies. On two occasions I saw VC attack a tank platoon with small arms, talk about a shooting gallery. Like spitwads at an elephant. They got into at least two nasty firefights right at the north end of Duc Pho mountain.

RW

8JUN67: Operation Malheur II begins west and north of Duc Pho.

We [2/502, 101st Airborne] stay in the mountains for a week, or more, to continue S&D patrols after the 1&2/327 are pulled out of the mountains to start Malheur II. They are taken down into the Song Ve and the Crow's Foot valleys. Their mission is to round up every Vietnamese, and all of their livestock, for relocating. At the completion of this task the whole area will be declared a free-fire zone. Anyone found in the area will be considered enemy and will be killed.

I remember hearing about an ARVN unit that is part of the relocation operation. They go into a ville that they are supposed to round up all of the livestock from, and start killing the animals and looting the ville. I guess THEY were relocated.

When the Oh Deuce is brought down out of the mountains, we continue doing Search and Destroy operations in parts of the Song Ve that has already been cleared of civilians. We get into several intense shootouts with the bad guys. This is still going on when I'm pulled out of the field 5 days before my DEROS. I make it back to our main basecamp at Phan Rang with just enough time to clear post and catch a Freedom Bird out of Cam Ranh Bay. I leave on 30JUN67, the exact day that I'm supposed to. Didn't catch so much as a one day early break. They definately got their money's worth out of this piece of equipment.

14MAY67

Mother's Day Hill:
It happened 3 days after the 1/327 and 2/502 [me] did a CA into the mountains west of Duc Pho, kicking off Operation Malheur I.

This is what I remember hearing about it about a month or so later. The platoon was on a patrol in an area that they weren't suppose to be in. A 101st LRRP unit spotted them, but were too far away to recognize them as Americans. After checking to see if there were any friendlies in the area, and being told "Negative," the LRRPs called in gunships on them. The guns made a quick pass and hit a couple of guys. Luckily, they were able to identify themselves to the gunships. The 327th brought in medevacs to take out the wounded. After the dust-offs left, the platoon walked right into an NVA ambush just a couple of hundred yards away. I'm sure they were attracted to the area by all of the chopper activity. The platoon was almost wiped out before help got to them. I guess it turned into quite a gunfight. This was told to me by a LRRP buddy of mine, Sp/4 Jimmy McC. Jimmy had been in my company in the Oh Deuce before volunteering to become a LRRP. He decided that nothing could be any worse than being a line doggie in the 101st. At least the LRRPs got to sleep in a bunk once in awhile.

I have read your posts in reference to the may-june operations in Duc Pho.I was with 3rd plt C 2/502 1st Bde 101st Abn Div, and was there.
Do you have any info as to the engagements or firefights?
I appreciate any thoughts.
thanks,chris