Other Post Id An A6m Zero Marking?

NebrHogger

Mi General
MI.Net Member
United-States
0000.z1.jpg

Going through pics of A6M (in various models) I found this marking I've not seen before. Can anyone identify it? SW

**post title should be ID *an* A6M marking - I can spell; I just can't tipe**

Is this an A6M5 Zeke? never seen that marking on a Japanese plane before I will have a dig around.

Aha I believe they are Surrender crosses and would have been green in colour :)

Here is another pic, tried to find one in colour but no joy

a6m with surrender marking cross reen.jpg

Last edited:
More,,,,,,

The apple-green crosses were hastily applied to all Japanese service aircraft upon the Emperor’s announcement of the Empire’s surrender. They were applied in a variety of styles, in some cases simply painted freehand adjacent the hinomarus, in others they were painted over a wash coat of white at national marking locations.

The surrender delegation who were to meet MacArthur were instructed to arrive in Betty bombers which were stripped of all armaments, painted completely white, and the green crosses applied in place of the Japanese national markings, to add to Japanese humiliation.

When the Allied forces arrived in Japan, they were surprised at the large number of servicable aircraft available, so it was not the case that “crossed” aircraft represented poorly maintained or abandoned airframes.

Last edited:
Thank you! I suspected it might be that, but it's not well to assume things. SW

0000.z2.jpg 0000.z3.jpg 0000.z4.jpg

As long as we're discussing markings, here are a couple more that are uncommon but easily explained. No unusual markings on the float plane - I'm just fascinated by counter-rotating props. They never got all the bugs worked out of this variation... the wingtip outriggers would retract but had a bad habit of not dropping back down.

Which no doubt made for some "max pucker factor" landings. :eek: SW

Back