Remembrance George Kay.

airborne

Mi Sergeant Major
MI.Net Member
It is with great sadness that I have to report the death of George Kay on Wed 23 Aug 2011. He was 91 and had been suffering with cancer for some time. His funeral will be held at the HITHER GREEN CREMATORIUM, Verdant Lane, London SE6 1TP at 1245 on Tues 23 Aug 2011.

George had a peerless record of service to this country. He jumped into Arnhem with C Company 3 PARA on 17 Sep 1944. He was captured during the battle and escaped from the Germans just before the end of the War. He was one of the first volunteers to join the newly formed 21 SAS (Artists Rifles) early in 1947. He emigrated to Southern Rhodesia in the early 60s and fought in the war against the ANC - he was the Sgt Major of the Rhodesian Special Forces. He had to leave Rhodesia when the new Government was given power and moved with his family to South Africa. He joined the South African Army and finished up as WO1 in the 44th Parachute Brigade of the SADF.

When he returned to this country he became very involved with Action For Armed Forces where he was constantly a thorn in the side of successive Governments, managing to get as far as meetings with the Minister of Defence , that is when he wasn't chaining himself to the railings outside Buckingham Palace. He was well known to all the Policemen in the West End of London who always greeted him warmly.

George did not do "negative thoughts" - he was badgering me to get him a tandem with the Red Devils even though he was seriously ill with the disease that killed him. REST IN PEACE George, you will be sadly missed by all your family, friends and admirers
RIP George Forever Young

R.I.P George Kay
Never Forgotten

Here is the last stanza of one of my poems for George,

Like dandelions’ seeds, he’s parachuting
Floating on up-draughts above earth below,
Ambition at last blossomed this morning
To be in the air where warm thermals flow.

R.I.P.

Silky

Back