Site help Copyright Issues

PanzerBob

Mi Sergeant
MI.Net Member
Good day, all

I've been looking over the Copyright Issue we have been having the last few days. I must say most sites that copyright their pictures state that somewhere usually on the home page. Where as the Swedish weapon site did not state this at all, that I could find. Other places state use unless it is for commercial use. If I post here is it now considered commercial??? I've also seen sites that claim copyrights yet pictures posted are available widely. I find claims of copyrights are hard to claim of you are going to post your work on the Internet. Some sites worried about this issue disable any copy function. It seems to me some people don't understand the sharing of knowledge.

I provide my wallpapers etc for public enjoyment, educationally or amusement and make not a shekel nor care too. I think some need to get over themselves.

IMHO of course, any thoughts to add, folks.

Prosit! Bobsal;

Unfortunately Copyright can be a very contentious issue.
Some people dont give a damn if there work is used by others and then some get very upset if their work is used without permission.

Any images I upload here can be used by others simply by using the link provided with each image.

It is difficult to prove if copyright exists with an image, as you say the image could have come from many different sources, usually a person claiming a breach of copyright provide some evidence of that and in the case of the member ' hornet' it was a clear cut case of 'Copyright theft' and as it was now brought to my attention I had to do something about it espcially as the evidence was overwheling.

Copyright is protected by law and if I do not at least attempt to control it, in time Mi.Net or me will be in deep poo poo_Of course I cant view every image that is posted although I try and in any case how can I validate every image?.....impossible I would say.

Like Youtube and other similar sites we rely on trust and the honesty of the user. The terms state very clearly our views on copyright theft.

Personally I think its just courteous to ask the owner, it takes seconds to type a short email and costs nothing.

However im sure a lot of images on our site may be copyright and the owner has seen them and does not care, infact is probably very pleased that their work is being passed around for all to see....its a strange thing copyright, some people care some dont

Cheers
Bombardier

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bomber,

I guess that puts my mind at ease. I'd hate to have to stop sharing my collection; many people seem to appreciate what I've cobbled together.

Cheers Bob sal;

Been a while since I last read the post and I have learnt a lot more about copyright issues since then.
As a way of further enhancing the answer to your question @PanzerBob ; We (Mi.Net) are a non commercial website interested in the discussion of Military imagery and topics, we do not sell images posted. As such any pictures posted here could be considered "fair use", that said it is always polite to give proper credit and a link back to a website or the posting of the owners names is favoured (If Known).

Read and discuss more I have posted about copyright here. http://www.militaryimages.net/threads/copyright-please-read.5789/

Update re posting of Getty images, this is posted elsewhere on MI.Net so I have just quoted my previous post.

Ok I have an answer for you. Getty permit the 'embedding' of photos from their website which means using their code. This code is useless for a forum as the code is not compatible, so use the Images but insert a link to Getty main page on any thread where you have used one of their images.

Here is an example (you will only need one link in your post)

Getty Images Photo http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/

Hope this helps you although it will mean checking your photos when you post a Getty picture

Back