Photos After The War...

NebrHogger

Mi General
MI.Net Member
United-States
r6.png r3.png

I'm not sure which forum is best for this so please delete if not appropriate here.

After WW2, there was a lot of surplus equipment available at modest prices. As shown here, M3 halftracks made good farm and ranch tractors. It was a common sight to see ranchers feeding cattle with them. To this day, I know where a few sit, quietly rusting away after they were parked when spares were no longer available.

I grew up in ranch country. Dad was a cowpoke his whole life except for his service in the navy. Feeling war was imminent, he enlisted in the summer of 1941 and was a Machinist Mate on the battleship Nevada at Pearl Harbor. He never talked much about the attack there except to say his job was to monitor output shaft bearing temp as well as other critical gauges. He allowed it was an uneasy feeling to be that far below the waterline with a torpedo and bomb attack underway.

After the Nevada was repaired, it responded to the invasion of Attu and Kiska islands. He also served on the light carrier, Corregidor and the troop ship, Bowie where he landed Marines on "hot" beaches as well as his regular duties with the "black gang".

I've included a pic of him which isn't military in any way - please delete it if not appropriate. SW

Last edited by a moderator:
He allowed it was an uneasy feeling to be that far below the waterline with a torpedo and bomb attack underway.

Not surprising , I would not have wanted to be there. :eek:

Back