Question? 2Lt W H Stone DCM

12ltrooper

Mi Recruit
MI.Net Member
[h=1]2Lt William Henry Stone DCM was from Bedford, he served 12th Lancers commissioned Northants next of kin in Steeple Morden and commemorated on Hartshill War Memorial, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire - does anyone know why he is commemorated such a long way from home?[/h]

welcome 12ltrooper
I will look into your question
Our resident expert is 28th61st I will pass your query on to him see if he can shed any light on it.

28th61st has responded with

Solved the mystery of W H Stone. It was an error on my part. I had uploaded the correct entry for Stone but inadvertently did not delete the incorrect, which is the one this person is enquiring about. I have now corrected this -
" 2nd Lieutenant William Henry STONE, D.C.M. 6th Northampton Regiment died 26th September 1916 aged 38. He was formerly Sergeant 5221, 12th Lancers. 1911 he was stationed in Egypt with the 12th Lancers as Lance Corporal. London Gazette dated 14th January 1916.Awarded the D.C.M. for conspicuous gallantry and general good work throughout the campaign, and in particular on one specific occasion when he exhibited great bravery and resource under fir in scouting and sniping. He gained his commission on the 1st August 1916 whilst serving with the Lancers. His medal card index shows an address, Station Road, Steeple Morden, Roystone, Cambridgeshire.(Wills and Admin) have the some address and his effects went to his sister Mrs Ellen Mary Jennings. "

Thanks Alf solthum

Last edited by a moderator:
WH Stone DCM

Thanks for this information - i cannot tie him Stoke on Trent. The probate say he is from Steeple Morden - any ideas?

Thanks Alf solthum

Last edited by a moderator:
Back