Close

1. Soldier's body found 60 years on

The remains of a soldier from Wales have been found in Holland, 60 years after he was killed in battle.
    His widow Grace, now 86 and living near Cwmbran, has been told Evan Davies' body and personal belongings were found by builders in a town on the Rhine.

The sergeant major, who died aged 27, will be buried with full military honours in Holland on 9 June.

Members of his family will be there although his widow is too frail to travel.

It took Ministry of Defence officials and the Dutch army nine months to identify the body and trace the family, who are from Abersychan near Pontypool.

The remains were found with his cap badge, tag and other personal items.
    Sergeant Major Davies, a member of the 3rd Monmouthshire Regiment, died in a battle with German troops in 1944 near the town of Broekhuizen on the Rhine.

His widow Grace Young, whose second husband died 10 years ago, now lives in a nursing home.

Unable to walk unaided, Mrs Young is not well enough to travel to Holland for the burial, which will be a military ceremony, attended by soldiers from the Royal Regiment of Wales.

His niece Judith Williams said: "My mother and my aunt always had the feeling that they've never been able to say goodbye to him or pay their last respects to him.

"Coincidentally, Aunty Grace's sister's husband is buried at the same cemetery at Venray that Uncle Evan will be buried at.

"They always felt that Aunty Olive was able to say goodbye to Uncle Les and Grace had never been able to do the same.
    "Now we can lay his body to rest and pay him the respect he deserves."

Sergeant Major Davies was among 140 men who were killed, when 300 members of the 3rd Monmouthshire Regiment tried to take a German stronghold in a castle near the Dutch town in November 1944.

Major Martin Everett, curator of the South Wales Borderers Museum in Brecon said it was quite rare, unlike with the trenches of the First World War, for bodies to be recovered from the Second World War.

"What's quite poignant about this story is that two months before he died, his platoon had seized a Nazi flag from the German HQ at Helmond - they all signed the flag and you can see Sergeant Major Davies' signature on it. The flag's now in our museum."
    Thanks to:
    BBC.CO.UK/NEWS

2. I couldn't help but notice how old Sergeant Major Evans was, only 27! That is some attrition rate!

HighlandSniper58 Guest
    This is quite amazing, normally the only WW2 casualties recovered these days are aircrew, whereas WW1 remains are found almost on a daily basis in France and Belgium.

At least the familiy can now say their goodbyes properly after all these years.

Truly remarkable

Alan Black Guest

Post Davies Family History.

Reference Evan T Davies.
    I have been researching my family history since 1984. Over the last 10 years having done as much as I could on the tree, I started to contact family for photographs. Recently, when one of the last of the Brinsdon Family of Abersychan died, I received several copies of photographs that he had kept all these years. My Mother aged now 89yrs identified them all, probably the only person alive in the Eastern Valley who could have. One of the photos was of Maud Matilda Davies born 1881- , Evan T Davies's Mother. Also, there were three other photos, one of his sister Jenny on her wedding day to William T Barrett, one studio photo of her and one of his sister Bessie.
    The family I was researching was that of James Brinsdon 1859-1940 and his wife Elizabeth Ann nee Webb 1866-1944. Matilda Maud was Elizabeth's sister. My Mother told me recently of this great story and I am keen to trace relatives of Evan T Davies to see if they would like copies of the family and the history of the Webb's. Dated March 2012. Contact me on alan.black16@btinternet.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zofo View Post
    The remains of a soldier from Wales have been found in Holland, 60 years after he was killed in battle.
    His widow Grace, now 86 and living near Cwmbran, has been told Evan Davies' body and personal belongings were found by builders in a town on the Rhine.

The sergeant major, who died aged 27, will be buried with full military honours in Holland on 9 June.

Members of his family will be there although his widow is too frail to travel.

It took Ministry of Defence officials and the Dutch army nine months to identify the body and trace the family, who are from Abersychan near Pontypool.

The remains were found with his cap badge, tag and other personal items.
    Sergeant Major Davies, a member of the 3rd Monmouthshire Regiment, died in a battle with German troops in 1944 near the town of Broekhuizen on the Rhine.

His widow Grace Young, whose second husband died 10 years ago, now lives in a nursing home.

Unable to walk unaided, Mrs Young is not well enough to travel to Holland for the burial, which will be a military ceremony, attended by soldiers from the Royal Regiment of Wales.

His niece Judith Williams said: "My mother and my aunt always had the feeling that they've never been able to say goodbye to him or pay their last respects to him.

"Coincidentally, Aunty Grace's sister's husband is buried at the same cemetery at Venray that Uncle Evan will be buried at.

"They always felt that Aunty Olive was able to say goodbye to Uncle Les and Grace had never been able to do the same.
    "Now we can lay his body to rest and pay him the respect he deserves."

Sergeant Major Davies was among 140 men who were killed, when 300 members of the 3rd Monmouthshire Regiment tried to take a German stronghold in a castle near the Dutch town in November 1944.

Major Martin Everett, curator of the South Wales Borderers Museum in Brecon said it was quite rare, unlike with the trenches of the First World War, for bodies to be recovered from the Second World War.

"What's quite poignant about this story is that two months before he died, his platoon had seized a Nazi flag from the German HQ at Helmond - they all signed the flag and you can see Sergeant Major Davies' signature on it. The flag's now in our museum."
    Thanks to:
    BBC.CO.UK/NEWS