Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    What don't you understand, Romero? Tell us what confuses you and we'll help you to understand it ;-)
    Mary Dye-1920-2011
    Herbert 'Bert' Dye-1916-1997-Royal West Kent-Royal Berks-RAOC
    Robert V Dye-1947-1964-129.SQDN ATC
    Herbert Holmes-7th City of London (Civil Service) Rifles-the 'Shiny seventh'-1915-1918
    Holmes, RE-Cfn-25087291-150 Rec Coy-103Bn-REME (V)

He was a useless low life spamming **** buddy
    His post and himself have been deleted

3. Vietnam era body armor

I served with F Troop 8th Cavalry from Mar'69 - Mar '70. At that time we were based at Ky Ha Point(the north end of the base at Chu Lai) home of the 23rd Infantry Division HQ.
    Our mission changed like the wind, but mainly we were "eyes" of the northern half of the 23rd's AO, supporting the 198th LIB, 196th LIB and the 1/1 Armored Cavalry. We flew daily VR missions in that area, sometimes ranging as far as the western border of Vietnam and peeking into that "other country" checking none infiltration routes. To my way of thinking we were there to provide close air support on combat assaults and support of friendly forces in "tactical situations" (fire fights).
    Back to the chicken plate question/discussion, the wearing the "Chicken Plate" was not an option - our SOP mandated it. The pilots of our Scout platoon (OH-6A), Lift platoon (UH-1H) and the pilots of the Weapons platoon (AH-1G) all worn the one (1) piece ceramic; as for crew-chiefs and door-gunners some wore front & back(all wore the front plate).
    I read a comment earlier that the pocket/pouch on the front center of the "carrier" was useless - not so in the case of the aircraft commander, it was perfect for holding the SOI(a short nylon cord used a lanyard was used to attached it to it).
    I was fortunate enough to never have it stop a bullet, but was always comforted by the fact that it was there, it became so much of everyday life. Even when I returned to the states and served as an IP at Tactics, for months I'd look around the cockpit looking for my "Chicken Plate".

Hello Twig, welcome to the site. When I first met the Blue Ghosts they were 7/17th Cav with all new aircraft. We worked with them around LZ Center and East and points west and north.

You are right about pilots and chicken plates, it was mandatory. Slick crewchiefs only wore the front plate. Gunship crewchiefs and gunners on C and M models had the option and after getting smacked in the chin while trying to reload the ammo cans in flight it was an easy decision to opt for a flack jacket. If I were in a LOH I definately would want front, back, underneath and anything else I could get.

I'm glad someone actually found a use for that silly little pocket, everything I tried to put in it blew out.

RW

"In my many years on this earth, I have concluded that one worthless man is a shame, two are a lawfirm and three or more are a congress." President John Adams